Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Biggs - Work in Progress

It has been a while since I painted Mr.Biggelsworth (aka Biggs) - I looked at his picture that always hangs in my studio and knew that it was time for another creation. He really was an incredible, once in a lifetime cat and a day doesn't go by that I don't miss him terribly.

This is still very much work in progress. I just figured that it would be fun to share my painting process.

This is done on a 16x20 stretched canvas that was first primed with grey gessoe.

I used a viewfinder to decide on an interesting cropping and then used a soft pastel to roughly sketch out the boy. The three photos show the progression of the paint application. With Biggsy, I normally let my heart do the painting - and once the basic shapes are laid out, I barely ever look at the photo...






2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Mr. Biggs is a gorgeous boy! Beautiful eyes and wonderful crop!

Marie Theron said...

Lovely idea to crop the picture like that, Olga! This brings the cat so much forward and into the space of the spectator!