Monday, February 13, 2012

COWS, COWS AND MORE COWS by OLGA WAGNER

Well, actually it is the same cow done done 2 ways... Yesterday, I was feeling well enough to spend several hours in my studio...And..Wow..I had some serious FUN!

I had this idea to work on the same subject, but in different styles...Those of you who follow my work on a regular basis, know that I love working with palette knives as much as with brushes. I felt it would make for a great exercise to take the same subject on the same size panel and work one with brushes and one with knives and then to compare the end result.

So this is what I did yesterday...

First, I taped two 6x6 panels side-by-side to a larger panel. Then I sketched the same cow on both panels. I started with brushes and completed the cow on the right first...For no particular reason...I grabbed the brush first, so I went with it.. Once done with cow #1, I grabbed a small palette knife and started on cow #2.

I love the end result. I did find that working on a small sized panel, the brush makes life much easier. You have more control to mix the paint right on the panel. I will do this exercise again..Next time I will start with the palette knife and finish with brushes...

So which one of the two is your favorite???

Side by Side Cows - Cow on the Left is done 100% with a palette knife while the other was done with brushes.

COW#1 - Brush
6x6 Oil on Raymar Canvas Panel

Available








COW#2 - Palette Knife
6x6 Oil on Raymar Canvas Panel

Available








SAVE THE DATE: March 9th 6-9pm
Opening Reception

Focal Point Gallery, Chapel Hill
1215 E. Franklin street


No comments: